When patients and families are having difficulties managing the psychological, social and financial matters of illness, Parkview’s Care Management/Discharge Planning department is here to help. We assist in planning for discharge and coping with illness. We can also help to reduce the stress of being hospitalized and assist in arranging your post-hospital services.
Staffed by Care Managers, we work with your doctor and care team to create a discharge plan to meet your specific post-hospital needs. Our staff will arrange for any equipment that you might need after discharge from the hospital including oxygen, walker, cane, or hospital bed. We can also arrange for specialized services such as Home Health Care.
Working with your doctor, we:
- Assist in the coordination of your medical and surgical care, as appropriate, while you are in the hospital.
- Assess your needs and your family’s needs and assist in identifying discharge planning options.
- Communicate with your insurance company to obtain benefits for hospital and post-hospital care as needed.
- Provide referrals to outside agencies that can help with your post-hospital care.
- Offer supportive counseling, education and crisis intervention.
- Assess and report suspected abuse and/or neglect.
During your hospital stay
Every weekday, care rounds take place on each unit. During these care rounds the care management/discharge planning team reviews your individual discharge plan and any post-hospital needs. Together with you and your family, the care managers will discuss coordinating care to assist in your return to the community. It is important that you and your family are aware of these rounds as you are partners with the doctor and the rest of your care team in making decisions about your in-hospital and post-hospital care plan.
How to contact us
There is a Care Manager on each floor of the hospital. You may request a discharge planning evaluation by a Care Manager by letting your nurse or doctor know. You may also call us at 719-584-4397.