Preparing for Your Procedure
You can help ensure your joint replacement surgery goes smoothly by being informed about your procedure and fully preparing for it. Parkview Medical Center’s caring orthopedic professionals will stay by your side to answer questions and make sure you feel confident throughout your journey.
Learn What to Expect
You and a family member or friend will take a pre-surgery class to discover what to anticipate from your joint replacement procedure. You’ll get information about physical therapy, occupational therapy, pain management and eating habits that help you heal.
Guidebooks Give You More Information
Our Joint Center guidebooks for hip replacement and knee replacement give you additional information on preparing for surgery. You’ll find important advice such as:
- Exercises to perform in the weeks before surgery
- Foods to eat before your procedure
- Improving your outcome by relaxing and thinking positively
- Medications you may need to stop taking
- Preparing your advance directives
- Steps to take to ensure your safety at home
- Types of anesthesia you may receive
- What to pack for your hospital stay