Special Care Nursery
Did you know? Ten percent of babies are born prematurely. This means that one in every 10 babies born will require some kind of assistance after birth. For these families, Parkview Medical Center specializes in providing the best care for unhealthy or premature babies, close to home.
We are here for you and your baby!
Contact Us if you have questions. 719.584.4618
Our Facilities & Specialized Staff
Parkview offers a 6-bed Special Care Nursery, and it’s the most experienced and specialized south of Colorado Springs. Parkview’s level II Special Care Nursery is staffed with seven board-certified neonatologists and specialized neonatal nurse practitioners who care for premature infants and sick newborns who might need treatment for infection, breathing on a respirator, oxygen by mask or specialized feeding methods.
What does that mean for you? We are the only Special Care Nursery in Southern Colorado that offers these highly specialized neonatologists, or physicians specially trained to care for premature and sick newborns.
In addition, our Neonatal Nurse Practitioners have advanced training to specialize in the care of premature and sick newborns. With over 180 years of combined experience, our elite staff allows for the best possible care for your baby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What We Do
We love babies—they’re what we do. Expecting parents have come to trust the expertise of our Birth Center’s highly skilled nurses, physicians, and if need be, the highly trained neonatologists and nurse practitioners. Our special care nursery has been dedicated to keeping Pueblo families close to home since opening in 2006.
Whether your baby is born with complications including infections, birth defects, feeding difficulties or if your baby is born up to 2 months prematurely, we offer the specialized care new families need.
If you are expecting an early delivery or a baby who may require special medical services, we are happy to talk to you and answer any questions before you deliver. Parkview is proud to partner with Neonatologists and NNPs of Pediatrix Medical Group, the largest provider of neonatal care in the country. Please call 719-584-4451 for more information.
Facilitating a Successful Transition Home
In addition to providing specialized care during labor and delivery, our nurses and neonatologists are here for new families beyond the delivery. Our staff provides ongoing treatment in the Special Care Nursery for babies born with major diseases associated with prematurity, and they help prevent complications for growing babies, whether they were carried full term or were born at just a few pounds.
In addition, Parkview offers new mothers and families resources such as a comprehensive care plan and educational courses to ensure a comfortable and safe transition home.
Special Care Nursery Fun Facts
Following, you will find helpful information about Parkview’s Special Care Nursery:
- Partnered with Pediatrix Medical Group, one of the nation’s largest providers of newborn care, allowing access to the largest database in the world. This allows the neonatology team at Parkview the ability to make the best and most fully informed decisions with the latest treatment recommendations.
- Parkview is the only facility in Pueblo to provide this level of care.
- Our team attends high-risk deliveries for babies who may require extra attention after birth.
- We have established relationships with several pediatric specialists in Colorado Springs and Denver if your child should need further specialized care or surgery.
- Our 7 Neonatologist and 3 Neonatal Nurse Practitioners have over 180 years of combined experience and are dedicated to the highest quality, safest care.