Skip to Content

Allergic Reaction to Metal

Allergy to metal

An allergic reaction to metal is an overreaction of the body's immune system to a substance (allergen) in a metal. An allergic reaction to metal can cause intense swelling, pain, and itching.

Nickel is the most common metal allergen. Jewelry that does not trigger an allergic reaction is made from:

  • Stainless steel (grade-300).
  • 14- or 18-karat gold.
  • Niobium.
  • Titanium.
  • Platinum.
  • Dense, nonporous plastic, such as monofilament nylon, acrylic, or Lucite.

Health Library

  • Allergic Reaction to Metal

Connect With Us

  • facebook
  • YouTube
  • twitter
  • GlassDoor
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
 

400 West 16th Street, Pueblo, CO 81003

719.584.4000